If you like me and following a ketogenic, you know how great coconut oil is. Thanks to its medium-chain triglycerides. These MCTs have a medium-length carbon chain, so your body can quickly transform it into ketones and energy.
But did you know that when people are talking about coconut oil, they generally refer to finding a good MCT oil?
Not all MCTs are created equal, so coconut is not the same with MCT, although some of the best MCT oil brands on the market extract their MCTs from pure coconut oil.
Coconut oil is mainly composed of Lauric acid (C12), with a small proportion of Caprylic acid (C8) and Capric acid (C10), while the best MCTs use only C8 and C10 because these are the fastest to convert into energy.
However, coconut oil provides health benefits that Eastern medicine has used for millennia.
If you’re on keto, you don’t want to eat trans fats or long-chain triglycerides; incorporate healthy, quality fats like coconut oil, avocados, fish, nuts, and so forth in your diet to reap all the benefits of ketosis.
MCT Oil vs. Coconut
As I’ve said before, MCT contains 100% MCTs, while coconut contains just 50% MCTs.
Most of those MCTs in coconut are in the form of Lauric acid. This fatty acid has twelve atoms of carbons in its chemical formula, so it’s the closest to long-chain fatty acids.
C12 can’t convert into ketones as quickly as C8 or C10, but it does have other health benefits:
- It can fight pathogens like viruses, microbes, and bacteria. This property can help you fight the effects of the keto flu.
- It decreases your bad LDL cholesterol and increases good HDL cholesterol, which is exactly what you need on a high-fat diet plan.
- It increases weight loss because it accelerates your metabolism.
- It improves your mental capacity and overall brain functioning. This feature also helps counteract mental fogginess that usually results in the early stages of keto and is part of the canopy of keto flu symptoms.
MCT products have their Benefits:
- 100% C8 MCTs are the quickest to convert into energy. The result is increased stamina, mental clarity, and an excellent preworkout boost.
- MCT that mixes C8 and C10 gives you steady fuel. These MCT take longer to convert into energy, so they are good for people who need mental clarity and steady mental energy for hours.
- MCT is made from healthy fats, which keep you satiated for longer. Use them as meal replacements because they are generally low in calories, and you can lose weight quickly.
Coconut or MCT?
- Choose coconut if you want to focus on strengthening your immune system and mental functioning. Coconut is jam-packed with vitamins and minerals, plus it’s more cost-effective.
- Choose MCT if you need a quick, sustained energy boost, more strength, and stamina before your workouts, and a good supplement to kickstart or maintain your ketosis.
Refined vs. Unrefined Oils
Should you choose refined or unrefined coconut oil?
You can incorporate both these products into your ketosis diet or non keto diet thanks to their properties. But you should also take your purpose into account:
Refined coconut oil is Best used for:
Beauty treatments like face and hair masks
Baking with it because its smoke point is 350ᵒF
Preparing meals or drinks that don’t have a strong coconutty flavor
Unrefined oil is best used for:
- Fighting GI distress caused by the keto flu. This typeboasts anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, thanks to its high intake of polyphenols.
- Preparing fried foods because its smoke point is 400ᵒF so you can use it at a higher temperature.
- Staying hydrated and making sure you get all the important nutrients you need for your keto diet. Unrefined coconut oil is rich in vitamins and minerals because it’s made from fresh coconuts. These coconuts rotate in a centrifuge until all the vitamin-packed oil is extracted from them.
That said, I think unrefined oil fits better into my ketogenic goals.
7 Best Oils for Keto Diet
Now that you know the difference between coconut and MCT, as well as the difference between refined and unrefined oil, it’s time to look at some of the best products on the market.
Perfect Keto MCT Powder – # 1 Best Oil for Ketogenic Diet
Perfect Keto is a renowned brand because it focuses on research and extensive testing. Perfect Keto is synonym with quality and effectiveness, and that’s why it has so many satisfied customers.
It contains 11 grams of 100% coconut MCTs per serving, and is retailed under the slogan “instant fuel for your body and mind.”
Although the label and the official website don’t tell you the exact proportion of the different kinds of MCTs in this composition, I think that PerfectKeto Powder is the best for your keto diet because:It kickstarts ketosis quickly because its 100% MCT content will transform into ketones fast. These ketones will give you clean energy and focus because they convert so quickly into fuel. The result is your body won’t have to work overtime at digestion, meaning your brain will have more energy to spare.
It keeps GI disorders caused by the keto flu at bay thanks to its Acacia fibers. This ingredient is a natural prebiotic that helps your gut microbiota thrive, so your digestive system can do its job. It helps you follow your macros because there are only 7g of fat and 1g of carbs per serving. It curbs appetite because it consists of healthy fats.
It helps you lose weight if you use it as a meal replacement or healthy snack because one serving has just 70 calories.
It doesn’t mess with your glycemic index because it’s sweetened with Stevia and not corn syrup or another carb-filled sweetener.
Use LEANOP15 Code & Receive 15% OFF Until The End of January
Perfect Keto MCT Softgels (C8)
My second choice are the Perfect Keto MCT Softgels because:
It kickstarts ketosis quickly. Unlike the PK, you know that these softgels are made entirely with C8 Caprylic Acid, which is the fastest one to transform into ketones.
It fills you with energy. As your ketone levels rise quickly, you will feel a substantial energy increase, and, as a result, have increased resistance and focus for the day.
It can protect you from GI distress. Although PK Softgels doesn’t have acacia fibers, C8 can also fight some pathogens which could affect your digestive system.
It brings the world into focus and increases your attention span because your brain will benefit from a lot of energy too.
It helps you follow your macros because one serving contains 3g of fat and 0g of carbs.
It won’t mess with your weight loss goals because one serving has just 25 calories.
Use LEANOP15 Code & Receive 15% OFF Until The End of January
Kiss My Keto MCT Oil Powder (Good For Coffee)
Kiss My Keto will turn your coffee into a powerhouse. I’ve ranked it third in my review because:
Nutiva Organic Coconut Oil
This fractionated coconut oil is the best choice for people who want the coconut oil to incorporate into their meals.
Nutiva Organic Oil is a good choice to maintain ketosis because:
It’s an unrefined type of product with all the advantages I discussed earlier. This product strengthens your immune system, reduces your flu symptoms, and helps you get important nutrients.
It helps you reach your macros because it contains 14g of fat per serving, aka 70% of the total necessary intake of saturated fats!
NOW Foods Virgin Oil
New Virgin Coconut Oil is a good choice because:
- It has 64% MCTs. This unrefined product is made via cold-pressing to preserve more MCTs.
- It doesn’t have a lot of carbs.
- It’s filled with healthy fats (14g/ serving).
- It’s a nutritious snack or meal replacement that helps you lose weight and curbs your appetite, considering it only has 107 calories/ serving.
Skinny & Co. Coconut Oil
Skinny & Co. Coconut Oil is a good choice in because:
It’s organic and high-quality, derived from pure coconut oil
It packs 14g of fat and 0g carbs/ serving so you can stick to your macros
It tastes good
Sports Research MCT Coconut Oil
Sports Research MCT Coconut Oil is my last choice in this top 7 best coconut oils because it’s packed with Lauric acid (30%).
Although coconut oils have more Lauric acid than MCT oils, I would have expected better even from this inexpensive product.
Sports Research MCT Coconut Oil contains just 42% C8 and 28% C10, meaning you won’t get a big energy boost and fast ketosis like you would with Perfect Keto Softgels or MCT Oil Powder.
However, I’ve included it in my top because:
It’s a keto-friendly supplement
It uses 100% non-GMO coconuts
It gives you prolonged energy
It helps you stick to your macros courtesy of 14g fat and 0g carbs/ serving
How To Use Coconut Oil on Keto Diet. Main Benefits & Side Effects
If you’re on a diet, you can use coconut oil any time, including before bed:
- To bake your meals or snacks
- To improve your drinks and smoothies
- To bump up the fat content of your salad, if you add it to the dressing
- To bulletproof your coffee
- Improves your health and quality of life
- It speeds up your metabolism
- It can fight all sorts of pathogens
- It prevents hunger pangs
- It lowers bad cholesterol and increases the good cholesterol
- It can make your skin look better
- It improves brain functioning and health
- It helps with oil pulling
- Many people use coconut oil for dogs, to solve their digestion issues and to make their coats shinier
Side Effects of Keto Oils
There are no known side effects for coconut oil, apart from triggering high-cholesterol in people who overstep their maximum daily dosage repeatedly.
Does Coconut Oil Help You With Weight Loss?
Coconut oil can help you lose weight because:
It can reduce hunger pangs so you can control your appetite
It speeds up your metabolism so you can burn calories faster
It is an active agent against belly fat
The thing is you have to use oil wisely, which means:
- You shouldn’t eat too much of it. Settle for maximum two tablespoons per day to minimize caloric intake
- You should exercise to burn all the extra fats you’re getting into your body
- You should reduce carbs as much as possible to make sure your body will transform these healthy fats into ketones instead of burning glucose
- You should restrict your caloric intake
Is Coconut Oil Good For Your Hair, Face, and Skin? Can You Use It for Cooking?
If you want to use coconut oil for your face, hair, and skin, it’s wiser to choose a refined type of coconut oil. Otherwise, studies show that coconut oil is good for moisturizing purposes; it lowers the risk of feeble hair and can assist several skin issues.
You can also use it for cooking but:
Keep the temperature under 350F for refined oil and under 400F for unrefined coconut oil.
Limit your intake to a maximum of 24g/ day if you want to follow the advice from WHO and AHA.
Limit your intake to 14.4g/ day if you have heart issues.
Does Coconut Oil Speed Up Ketosis?
Coconut oil can speed up ketosis because it contains 50% MCTs, which are easily converted into ketones. Raised ketone levels are the very definition of ketosis.
However, MCT oils are 100% MCTs, meaning they will speed up ketosis at a quicker rate.
Is Coconut Oil Bad for You?
Coconut oil is not a toxic supplement, although there are some mild side effects associated with it that I’ve explained above.
Keto Coconut Oil Can be Bad for You If:
You don’t respect the maximum intake restrictions
If you start by taking your daily spoonful of coconut oil from day one instead of starting slow
If you have pre-existing heart, liver or thyroid conditions
Other popular oil products to use on keto diet (inlcuding for cooking oils): cold pressed extra virgin olive oil, avocado oil,
Can You Use This Oil while on Keto?
Definitely. Coconut oil is absolutely keto-friendly due to its pure fat content. It may help you reach your fat goals without getting any carbs into your food. It also includes saturated fat, the largest portion of which are medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs), a fat that may increase fat burning.
If your goal is weight loss, you still will want to restrict your intake of any oil. It’s a calorie-rich type of food, carrying 120 calories per 14 grams (1 tablespoon)
Final Conclusion. What Brand Of Coconut Oil is Best for Keto & Where To Buy?
What kind of coconut oil is the best? My favorite is Perfect Keto Oil Powder because it is delicious, kickstarts ketosis quickly reduces hunger pangs, and it helps you concentrate better.
Although this is an expensive supplement, quality is always worth paying extra to ensure maximum results.
Use LEANOP15 Code & Receive 15% OFF Until The End of January
If you don’t want an MCT, the best brand of oil is Nutiva with its Organic Coconut Oil.
This unrefined coconut oil is the best type of oil to assist your diet goals, but Nutiva’s supplement is also certified organic, filling, and helps cover all your macros.
You can buy these products from Walgreens, Walmart, Amazon, or their official websites.
If you’ve decided on Perfect Keto MCT Oil Powder, you can take advantage now of my exclusive 15% discount if you click on the following link (use LEANOP15 code)