But do the most popular MCT oils on the market work as advertised?
Lab conditions are extremely different than at-home conditions, and people are different.
That’s what I’m here to find out.
I’ve done extensive research and came up with seven of the best products on the market.
How can they help you lose weight? What scams are there to uncover on the market? What is the scientific evidence behind MCTs? How can you lose fat weight instead of wasting your money?
Read on to find out.
7 Best MCT Oils for 2023 (Updated List)
The list of recommended medium-chain triglyceride oils you can use on a ketogenic diet o compare:
How do the top oils compare with each other? What MCT oil fits your purposes the best?
Let’s dive into the Best MCT oil reviews below…
1. Perfect Keto MCT Oil Powder – #1 Best Rated for Weight Loss & Ketosis
Perfect Keto is one of the top-rated MCT oil brands on the market because of its clean ingredients and instant energy boost.
How do you get that?
Each serving contains 11 grams of MCTs, which your body absorbs almost instantly, so you get a big, lasting energy boost, much better than eating a sugar-filled snack.
The MCTs in Perfect Keto is extracted from coconut instead of palm kernel oil (palm oil), so you can do your part in protecting the environment.
PK MCT Oil is the best for fat loss because:
- It gives you all the healthy fats you need to begin ketosis.
- It’s among the easiest to convert into energy both for your body and for your brain because it contains 100% C8.
- The 11 grams of healthy fat keeps you satiated for longer, so you don’t have to deal with hunger pangs.
- One serving contains 70 calories, which is very advantageous for a keto snack or a keto meal replacement, especially considering Perfect Keto wards off hunger pangs.
- Fad diets make you feel sluggish and depressed, but PK gives you mental clarity and focus so you can keep up with your weight goals.
- It decreases keto flu symptoms because its list of ingredients includes natural Acacia fibers that act like a natural prebiotic and strengthen your digestive system.
2. 100% Pure MCT Oil Softgels
While Perfect Keto is the best all-round supplement for losing weight, the 100% Oil Softgels by the same company is the best to kickstart and maintain ketosis because:
- You get a huge boost of ketones. This supplement is made from 100% C8 Caprylic Acid, which is the easiest to convert into energy so that you can boost your ketosis immediately.
- You are more energetic. Those who’ve experienced keto flu are familiar with fatigue and dizziness. But C8 is easy to metabolize, so your body doesn’t have to work as hard to produce fat-dissolving enzymes, meaning you get a significant energy boost.
- You don’t experience GI problems. One of the problems with the ketogenic diet is all the GI issues you get when your body tries to produce a lot of enzymes to break down fat cells. But as C8 is easy to digest, you won’t go through unpleasant stomach cramps, gas, or constipation. Besides, C8 has proven antibacterial properties.
- You have increased focus. C8 is a clean source of energy that promotes mental clarity, unlike energy drinks, which lead to sugar crashes.
- You don’t have hunger pangs. One serving of 100% Pure Oil Softgel from PK contains a lot of healthy fats that keep you feeling fuller for longer.
3. Onnit With Pure C8 – Best Organic
Onnit MCT Oil with Pure C8 is the best because it’s organic MCT (duh!), with the cleanest formula I could find.
This MCT oil features no additives, no artificial flavors, no dangerous chemicals, and thankfully no gluten.
All the ingredients are vegan and hypoallergenic. Onnit Pure C8 contains no eggs, meat, or dairy that can trigger dangerous reactions.
4. Bulletproof Brain Octane Oil – Top Choice to Add to Coffee
If you’re not leaving under a rock, bulletproof coffee ads couldn’t have eluded you. Bulletproof MCT Oil is the best choice for your morning coffee because:
- It mixes easily with your coffee (known as butter coffee).
- It tastes good.
- It gives you a quick energy boost because it’s manufactured via a triple distillation process to ensure the MCT oil is absorbed fast into your bloodstream.
- It gives you energy for long periods, unlike regular coffee, which only fuels you for two to three hours.
- It doesn’t let you crash, whereas normal coffee brings you down within a couple of hours.
- It helps you focus. Some people who are allergic to caffeine experience jitters and mental fog. Even avid drinkers might experience these effects if they drink too much coffee on an empty stomach. But because Brain Octane features pure C8 that converts into energy quickly, it promotes mental clarity.
- It’s a viable breakfast replacement. In this hectic world, few people have time for a traditional breakfast. Brain Octane features 130 calories and 14g of fat per serving, which is a way to break your fast in a keto-friendly way.
5. Viva Naturals – Best for Brain Health
All the products above are designed for mental clarity, increased focus, and more brain energy.
Viva is one of the top-rated MCT Oil for brain health because it’s manufactured from a mix of 56% Caprylic Acid, 38% Capric Acid, and 6% Lauric Acid.
C8 converts quickly into ketones which gives you more energy, including mental
C10 takes longer to metabolize, which accounts for a steady energy boost.
C12 has proven antiviral and digestive properties. If you’re new to keto, not going through the keto flu or experiencing it to a lower extent keeps you positive. But the most important thing is that digestive health is linked to brain health. An unhealthy gut microbiota (gut health concept) triggers anxiety, depression, and difficulty regulating your mood.
Viva has other secondary properties that make it a great choice for brain health:
- It contains 130 calories and 14g fat per serving, meaning you feel fuller for longer. As you’re less tempted to cheat, you break a dangerous association between food and reward. Besides, everyone is happier with a fuller belly.
- Its 13g of MCT oil/ serving is derived from pure coconut oil. A decade ago, a doctor called Mary Newport used coconut on her husband, who was suffering from Alzheimer’s. His symptoms improved and it’s now believed that coconut can help memory problems and aid brain functioning. Although there are no extensive studies to prove this, there’s much anecdotal evidence to support it.
6. Nature’s Way 100% Potency Pure Source – Good Pure Oil
- Nature’s Way MCT Oil is a good pure oil because:
- It uses only quality ingredients, with no toxic additives or GMOs.
- It’s extensively tested.
- It sticks to GMP.
- It uses top-quality coconuts.
- Nature’s Way – good for skin and hair
7. Left Coast Performance – Best for Memory Loss
Left-Coast is a small company but strives to manufacture high quality MCT oil. They buy quality organic coconut oil in bulk for a good price, and, unlike bigger companies who hunt for profits, they don’t overinflate costs.
Left Coast Performance MCT Oil is a value-for-money, quality product with top ingredients and a stellar triple-filtered extraction process that doesn’t use dangerous chemicals.
Best of all, if you’re not happy with this oil, you’ll get a full refund.
What is MCT Oil?
MCTs stand for medium-chain triglycerides. MCT oils are made from these saturated fatty acids which are the easiest to break down in your bloodstream, compared to long-chain fatty acids that have a longer carbon chain.
Why not get short-chain triglycerides to begin with? Unfortunately, these fatty acids are difficult to transform into supplements and have a bad taste.
However, MCTs transform into energy fast. They are a pure source of energy that increases your strength and stamina.
The catch is to choose MCT supplements correctly because not all MCTs are created equal.C8 (Caprylic Acid) has the shortest chain of carbons, so it’s the easiest to turn into fuel. C8 puts you into ketosis immediately. C10 (Capric Acid) is also great for quick ketosis and steady energy boost, though it takes longer to metabolize than C8. C12 (Lauric Acid) is the cheapest medium-chain triglycerides. You can find it in coconut oil, and it has proven properties for your immune system. However, it doesn’t put you into ketosis as quickly as C8.
What Are The MCT Oil Benefits? What to Look For?
MCT Oil is a well-researched supplement, with plenty of health benefits, including:
It can increase your athletic performance and endurance.
MCTs reduce bad cholesterol and promote good cholesterol so you can experience a healthy keto diet.
Medium chain triglycerides decrease blood sugar levels, which is exactly what you need for keto.
MCTs are a good source of ketones, which promote brain health and reduce mental fog.
MCTs offer a steady source of energy, unlike glucose.
Here’s what you should look for before choosing an MCT Oil:
100% C8 for quick ketosis and important energy boost
60% C8 and 40% C10 for steady energy and mental clarity, plus moderate ketosis at an affordable cost
Some C12 to the mix if you want brain health and moderate ketosis
The ingredients should be pure, fresh, and natural so you can enjoy a high-quality product that mixes easily and tastes good
The production process should not involve toxic chemicals that ruin your health and the environment
Choose bottle MCT oil if you want to pour it easily or add it to your food, but make sure you choose a good bottle design
Choose MCT oil pills if you want a convenient and fast option
Choose a good brand, such as Nutiva, Nature’s Way, Zhou Nutrition, or Perfect Keto for extra safety and guaranteed quality
MCT Oils Side Effects
If you’re looking for MCT oil weight loss, you should research the possible side effects. MCT Oil is generally considered safe although you might experience mild:
- Diarrhea, especially when drinking it straight out of the bottle on an empty stomach
- Abdominal pain and cramping
- Nausea and vomiting
As with any dietary supplements, it’s better to discuss things with your GP first to make sure you don’t have any special restrictions.
Start with half a dose. Newbies can overdose even on a regular serving because their bodies are not in full keto mode.
Coconut Oil vs. MCT Oil
Some people claim that coconut oil is better for keto, whereas others prefer the health benefits of MCT oil. These two are different, but they serve different purposes:
- MCT oils are good for fast ketosis and energy boosts. Newbies, people who experience keto plateaus or who want to recover after a cheat day prefer MCT oil.
- Coconuts are good for brain health and sticking to your macros. People who find it easy to stick with their keto diet but want to increase their daily healthy fats choose coconut.
Two other main differences between coconut and MCT oil regard their:
- Production process: It is natural, but MCT is synthesized from coconut oil.
- Composition: It contains mostly C12, which doesn’t transform into ketones, but promotes brain health. MCT oils contain mostly C8 or a mix of C8 and C10.
Usage & Dosage
You can add MCT oil to your drinks, your morning coffee, even in salad dressings.
Check the product’s label for accurate info on the correct dosage. The rule of thumb is 15mL per day, which equals one tablespoon or two pills.
How Much MCT Oil Should I Add in Coffee?
If the daily dosage is 15mL per day and you’re a newbie, go with 5mL per day during the first three days, which equals one teaspoon.
During days four to six, increase your dosage to 10mL per day in your morning coffee. After a week, you can get to the daily recommended tablespoon.
Best Time to Take MCT Oil When Fasting or Intermittent Fasting
If you’re on an intermittent fast, there are two ways in which you can take MCT oil:
With your morning coffee or with your breakfast for extra energy
With your last meal for the day to reduce hunger pangs for the rest of the day
If you’re on an absolute fast, take MCT oil with your last meal before beginning your fast to ensure you have enough energy, and you’re satiated enough before the no-food period.
If you’re on a food-restricted but not time-restricted fast, you can take MCT oil when you most feel hungry or sluggish.
Does MCT Oil Help You Lose Weight?
Yes, MCT oil helps you lose weight because:
It contains healthy fats that reduce your appetite.
It contains few calories per serving, so it is a convenient snack or meal replacement.
It increases your ketone levels so you can burn through your fat stores if you’re on a keto or low-carb diet.
The research shows ambivalent results, but MCT oil can’t help you unless:
- You restrict your carbs. Otherwise, your body will continue to burn glucose instead of your fat stores.
- You respect your daily necessary caloric intake.
- You exercise regularly to increase your metabolism and burn more fats.
Some other brands not included in this review:
- Sports Research
How Do I Choose the Right MCT Oil?
There are many products available in the market, but not all of them are natural. However, you can’t ignore health experts and opt for products that have been shown to work. One of such is MCT Oil. It is an excellent source of energy and is not as chemically stimulating as caffeine or any other artificial energy source. These are some of the primary benefits of MCT Oil that you must know about, and how can you get the highest out of it. However, it must be noted that it can enhance fat loss, but it is not a weight loss product. Some of the products that contain Oil are MCT capsules, which are usually known as Energy & Fat Burners. It is also important that you choose the right one that suits your body type because it plays an essential role in preventing or fighting off diseases and nutritional deficiencies.
First of all, the main role of the primary energy sources in the human body is to promote the metabolic rate. Our metabolism is influenced by the consumption of energy sources. The food that we eat helps to activate the brain, eyes, and digestive system. However, if you want to put your body to the test in the pursuit of maximum performance, you need a super-food that will activate all the metabolic functions, without even needing a single bite of food. The MCT is just that super-food. It (also known as Medium-Chain Triglyceride) is the only energy source that will put your body on a biochemical roller-coaster. As a dietary supplement, it is most popularly known for its ability to increase fat burning, or your body’s ability to burn stored body fat. MCTs are lipid-soluble, so they’re easily absorbed through the digestive tract.
Is MCT Oil Bad for Your Heart?
While many herbal preparations, such as ginseng, chaste berry, and jujube, are said to help the heart, MCT oil is a “holy grail” for many coaches and trainers as it is believed to strengthen the body’s cardiovascular system and help reduce the risk of heart disease. Though the studies on MCT Oil are emerging, the studies out there were very small and so the results are uncertain. That being said, MCT oil has been found to be safe for your body and your heart when consumed in moderation. It’s no wonder then that you might want to keep your heart healthy with one of the best coconut oil tips and tricks on the internet!
Among the benefits of Oil for your heart, you should keep in mind that a number of studies have shown that it’s a type of fatty acid, and the body’s conversion of these types of fats into energy can have positive effects on health. Studies have also found that MCT oil may help to lower your triglyceride levels. Researchers found that consuming MCT oil increased the production of HDL (“good”) cholesterol and decreased triglycerides in the bloodstream.
Does MCT Oil Help You Poop?
Essentially, MCT oil is a complete fatty acid. However, it contains medium-chain triglycerides (MCT). These are exactly what they sound like medium-chain triglycerides. Fatty acids with a longer chain than your average body fat. Longer chains mean more room to soak up the excess glucose in the blood.
The body breaks down long-chain fatty acids into their component fats and glycerol. Glycerol is then broken down and absorbed into the blood where it meets the body’s glucose requirements. In addition to MCT oil, there are also long-chain triglycerides in the fatty acids from fish and dairy. But MCT oil contains the most easily absorbed (not to mention cheapest) long-chain fat in your body.
Do Doctors Recommend MCT Oil?
The oil is produced from coconut meat and is rich in medium-chain triglycerides (MCT). It is more quickly absorbed by the body when compared to other types of fats. Recently, Dr. Michael Greger wrote an article about using MCT oil for people who want to lose weight and burn body fat. MCT oil is a very popular fat with regard to its health benefits. It is believed to help people lose weight because it is absorbed very quickly, and you only need a small amount each day. This is very good for people who find it difficult to lose weight and have trouble with weight loss.
This article will take you through the health benefits of coconut oil for bodybuilding, as well as how you can take advantage of it to lose weight and burn body fat. How Can MCT Oil Help People Lose Weight And Burn Body Fat? Dr. Greger wrote about the benefits of MCT oil, where he stated that people who use this oil can burn fat in their bodies and that it helps with reducing body fat.
Does MCT Oil Clog Arteries?
The use of MCT Oil for weight loss has been in the spotlight in recent years, often because of allegations of health problems. Some of these issues include Diabetic ketoacidosis (the ketoacidosis which sometimes occurs from taking MCT Oil). Muscle cramps. Crushing headaches. Restless leg syndrome. The effectiveness of weight loss or adding bulk to the body has never been fully established, although the claim that it prevents the absorption of fats by the liver has been made by some sources. In the past, however, several systematic reviews looked at the science and found MCT Oil to be worthless for weight loss. One of the most well-known systematic reviews is in 2005.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do You Really Need MCT Oil for Keto?
Consuming MCT oil and other fats are useful for controlling hunger and calorie intake while following the keto diet. Adequate fat consumption is essential for ketone production, which is used as fuel to maintain energy levels and reduce fatigue. Using MCT oil is not necessary to follow a keto diet, but it can help. MCT oil is high in medium-chain fatty acids that are quickly converted into ketones, providing energy for those in ketosis. It may also increase ketone production, promote feeling full, and improve fat metabolism. However, the main focus of a keto diet is limiting carbs and increasing fat intake to reach ketosis. Although MCT oil can be helpful for getting healthy fats and has some benefits, it’s not necessary for achieving or maintaining ketosis. You can still stick to a successful keto diet by getting fats from other sources like avocados, nuts, seeds, and olive oil. It’s recommended to speak with a healthcare professional or registered dietitian to ensure your dietary choices align with your individual health goals.
What About the Brain Benefits of MCT oil?
While MCT oil is commonly used for its antimicrobial properties and weight loss benefits, some people also use it to support brain health on a ketogenic diet. However, MCT oil which consists mostly of caprylic acid is believed to be the best for achieving ketosis and boosting brain health. Nevertheless, this may not be the top choice for the best MCT oil for ketosis, as shown below.
It can enhance mental clarity by speeding up energy conversion in the brain. This is achieved by promoting the use of fats over carbohydrates as a source of energy, thus preventing post-carb crash fatigue that many of us experience.
According to a study, consumption of 30g of MCT oil, which contains a combination of caprylic acid (55%) and capric acid (35%), helped in compensating for the lack of glucose in the brains of individuals who have mild to moderate Alzheimer’s disease and follow a ketogenic diet. However, preliminary research suggests that MCT supplementation does not have a significant impact on cognitive functions for individuals with APOE4 variations. To learn more about the relationship between Alzheimer’s and diet, please refer to additional resources.
The effectiveness of MCT oil in boosting mood is yet to be confirmed. A study conducted on 28 healthy adults showed some inclination but no definite proof that MCT oil improved mood or time to ketosis.
Does MCT Oil Really Help You Get Into Ketosis?
Yes, MCT oil can indeed help you get into ketosis more efficiently. Ketosis is a metabolic state in which the body primarily utilizes fat for energy instead of carbohydrates. It is considered a ketogenic dietary supplement due to its unique properties, which facilitate the production of ketones and the transition into ketosis.
Here’s how MCT oil aids in achieving ketosis:
- Quick Conversion to Ketones: Unlike long-chain fatty acids found in most dietary fats, MCTs are rapidly absorbed and transported directly to the liver. In the liver, they are converted into ketones, specifically beta-hydroxybutyrate (BHB), which is a primary source of energy in ketosis. This swift conversion enhances the availability of ketones, expediting the onset of ketosis.
- Supplementing Low-Carb Diets: it is especially beneficial when following a low-carbohydrate, high-fat (LCHF) or ketogenic diet. As carbohydrate intake decreases, MCTs can provide a valuable source of energy, helping to bridge the gap between reduced carb availability and the body’s energy needs. This prevents a drop in energy levels often referred to as the “keto flu.”
- Appetite Control: it has been shown to increase feelings of fullness and satiety, which can assist in reducing overall calorie intake. This is particularly helpful for those trying to maintain a caloric deficit for weight loss while on a ketogenic diet.
- Enhanced Fat Oxidation: MCTs stimulate the body to burn fat more efficiently, which supports the utilization of stored body fat for energy. This process aligns with the goals of a ketogenic diet and aids in achieving and maintaining ketosis.
- Improved Brain Function: Ketones, produced from MCTs, serve as an alternative fuel source for the brain. This can lead to improved cognitive function and mental clarity, often reported by individuals in ketosis.
However, it’s important to consider some key points:
- Dosage: The effectiveness of MCT oil can vary based on dosage. Starting with a smaller amount and gradually increasing it can help avoid digestive discomfort.
- Individual Variability: Responses to MCT oil can differ among individuals. While some people may quickly achieve ketosis with MCT oil, others may require more time and adaptation.
- Dietary Context: This should be integrated into a low-carb, high-fat diet for optimal results. Consuming excessive carbohydrates alongside MCT oil can hinder the attainment of ketosis.
In conclusion, MCT oil can be a valuable tool for expediting the transition into ketosis and supporting the overall success of a ketogenic diet. When used in conjunction with appropriate dietary strategies, MCT oil enhances the production of ketones, helping the body reach and maintain the desired metabolic state.
The Final Conclusion on MCTs & Where To Buy?
I bought MCT oils from online stores like Better Body Foods, and also from Costco, CVS, Kroger, Walmart, and Whole Foods.
Amazon is always a good choice because they have decent prices and reliable deals on shipping and returns.
Which MCT Oil will you buy, though?
The products I reviewed here serve different purposes:
- If you want brain health, go with Viva Naturals.
- If you need a morning boost with your coffee, Brain Octane Oil is a valid choice.
- If you’re interested in organic supplements, Onnit with Pure C8 should be your go-to.
- If you’re looking for a pure MCT supplement that’s been extensively tested, go with Nature’s Way MCT oil.
- If you want a value-for-money supplement, Left Coast Performance is the brand for you.
- If you want to get into ketosis immediately, choose Perfect Keto Softgels.
I don’t know about you, but my choice is PK MCT Oil Powder.
This MCT Oil is manufactured entirely from C8 Caprylic Acid, which means it’s quickly absorbed and puts you into ketosis immediately if you’re on a low-carb diet. 100% C8s can also make your energy levels skyrocket.
Perfect Keto is tasty, and I’ve never experienced the keto flu with it, thanks to the addition of Acacia fibers.
Is the price making you waver? I have an exclusive 15% discount to help you get the best MCT supplement now.
Click on the link below if you don’t want to compromise quality.