But do the most popular MCT oils on the market work as advertised?
Lab conditions are extremely different than at-home conditions, and people are different.
That’s what I’m here to find out.
I’ve done extensive research and came up with seven of the best products on the market.
How can they help you lose weight? What scams are there to uncover on the market? What is the scientific evidence behind MCTs? How can you lose fat weight instead of wasting your money?
Read on to find out.
7 Best MCT Oils for 2021 (Updated List)
The list of recommended medium chain triglyceride oils you can use on a ketogenic diet o compare:
How do the top oils compare with each other? What MCT oil fits your purposes the best?
Let’s dive into the Best MCT oil reviews below…
1. Perfect Keto MCT Oil Powder – #1 Best Rated MCT Oil for Weight Loss & Ketosis
Perfect Keto is one of the top-rated MCT oil brands on the market because of its clean ingredients and instant energy boost.
How do you get that?
Each serving contains 11 grams of MCTs, which your body absorbs almost instantly, so you get a big, lasting energy boost, much better than eating a sugar-filled snack.
The MCTs in Perfect Keto MCT Oil is extracted from coconut instead of palm kernel oil (palm oil), so you can do your part in protecting the environment.
PK MCT Oil is the best for fat loss because:
- It gives you all the healthy fats you need to begin ketosis.
- It’s among the easiest to convert into energy both for your body and for your brain because it contains 100% C8.
- The 11 grams of healthy fat keeps you satiated for longer, so you don’t have to deal with hunger pangs.
- One serving contains 70 calories, which is very advantageous for a keto snack or a keto meal replacement, especially considering Perfect Keto wards off hunger pangs.
- Fad diets make you feel sluggish and depressed, but PK gives you mental clarity and focus so you can keep up with your weight goals.
- It decreases keto flu symptoms because its list of ingredients includes natural Acacia fibers that act like a natural prebiotic and strengthen your digestive system.
2. 100% Pure MCT Oil Softgels by Perfect Keto –
While Perfect Keto MCT Oil is the best all-round supplement for losing weight, the 100% Oil Softgels by the same company is the best to kickstart and maintain ketosis because:
- You get a huge boost of ketones. This supplement is made from 100% C8 Caprylic Acid, which is the easiest to convert into energy so that you can boost your ketosis immediately.
- You are more energetic. Those who’ve experienced keto flu are familiar with fatigue and dizziness. But C8 is easy to metabolize, so your body doesn’t have to work as hard to produce fat-dissolving enzymes, meaning you get a significant energy boost.
- You don’t experience GI problems. One of the problems with the ketogenic diet is all the GI issues you get when your body tries to produce a lot of enzymes to break down fat cells. But as C8 is easy to digest, you won’t go through unpleasant stomach cramps, gas, or constipation. Besides, C8 has proven antibacterial properties.
- You have increased focus. C8 is a clean source of energy that promotes mental clarity, unlike energy-drinks, which lead to sugar crashes.
- You don’t have hunger pangs. One serving of 100% Pure Oil Softgel from PK contains a lot of healthy fats that keep you feeling fuller for longer.
3. Onnit With Pure C8 – Best Organic MCT Oil
Onnit MCT Oil with Pure C8 is the best organic MCT Oil because it’s organic (duh!), with the cleanest formula I could find.
This MCT oil features no additives, no artificial flavors, no dangerous chemicals, and thankfully no gluten.
All the ingredients are vegan and hypoallergenic. Onnit Pure C8 contains no eggs, meat, or dairy that can trigger dangerous reactions.
4. Bulletproof Brain Octane Oil – Top Choice to Add to Coffee
If you’re not leaving under a rock, bulletproof coffee ads couldn’t have eluded you. Bulletproof MCT Oil is the best choice for your morning coffee because:
- It mixes easily with your coffee (known as butter coffee).
- It tastes good.
- It gives you a quick energy boost because it’s manufactured via a triple distillation process to ensure the MCT oil is absorbed fast into your bloodstream.
- It gives you energy for long periods, unlike regular coffee, which only fuels you for two to three hours.
- It doesn’t let you crash, whereas normal coffee brings you down within a couple of hours.
- It helps you focus. Some people who are allergic to caffeine experience jitters and mental fog. Even avid drinkers might experience these effects if they drink too much coffee on an empty stomach. But because Brain Octane features pure C8 that converts into energy quickly, it promotes mental clarity.
- It’s a viable breakfast replacement. In this hectic world, few people have time for a traditional breakfast. Brain Octane features 130 calories and 14g of fat per serving, which is a way to break your fast in a keto-friendly way.
5. Viva Naturals MCT Oil – Best for Brain Health
All the products above are designed for mental clarity, increased focus, and more brain energy.
Viva is the one of the top rated MCT Oil for brain health because it’s manufactured from a mix of 56% Caprylic Acid, 38% Capric Acid, and 6% Lauric Acid.
C8 converts quickly into ketones which gives you more energy, including mental
C10 takes longer to metabolize, which accounts for a steady energy boost.
C12 has proven antiviral and digestive properties. If you’re new to keto, not going through the keto flu or experiencing it to a lower extent keeps you positive. But the most important thing is that digestive health is linked to brain health. An unhealthy gut microbiota (gut health concept) triggers anxiety, depression, and difficulty regulating your mood.
Viva has other secondary properties that make it a great choice for brain health:
- It contains 130 calories and 14g fat per serving, meaning you feel fuller for longer. As you’re less tempted to cheat, you break a dangerous association between food and reward. Besides, everyone is happier with a fuller belly.
- Its 13g of MCT oil/ serving is derived from pure coconut oil. A decade ago, a doctor called Mary Newport used coconut on her husband, who was suffering from Alzheimer’s. His symptoms improved and it’s now believed that coconut can help memory problems and aid brain functioning. Although there are no extensive studies to prove this, there’s much anecdotal evidence to support it.
6. Nature’s Way 100% Potency Pure Source MCT Oil – Good Pure Oil
- Nature’s Way MCT Oil is a good pure oil because:
- It uses only quality ingredients, with no toxic additives or GMOs.
- It’s extensively tested.
- It sticks to GMP.
- It uses top-quality coconuts.
- Nature’s Way – good MCT oil for skin and hair
7. Left Coast Performance MCT Oil
Left-Coast is a small company but strives to manufacture high quality MCT oil. They buy quality organic coconut oil in bulk for a good price, and, unlike bigger companies who hunt for profits, they don’t overinflate costs.
Left Coast Performance MCT Oil is a value-for-money, quality product with top ingredients and a stellar triple-filtered extraction process that doesn’t use dangerous chemicals.
Best of all, if you’re not happy with this oil, you’ll get a full refund.
What is MCT Oil?
MCTs stand for medium-chain triglycerides. MCT oils are made from these saturated fatty acids which are the easiest to break down in your bloodstream, compared to long-chain fatty acids that have a longer carbon chain.
Why not get short-chain triglycerides to begin with? Unfortunately, these fatty acids are difficult to transform into supplements and have a bad taste.
However, MCTs transform into energy fast. They are a pure source of energy that increases your strength and stamina.
The catch is to choose MCT supplements correctly because not all MCTs are created equal.C8 (Caprylic Acid) has the shortest chain of carbons, so it’s the easiest to turn into fuel. C8 puts you into ketosis immediately. C10 (Capric Acid) is also great for quick ketosis and steady energy boost, though it takes longer to metabolize than C8. C12 (Lauric Acid) is the cheapest medium-chain triglycerides. You can find it in coconut oil, and it has proven properties for your immune system. However, it doesn’t put you into ketosis as quickly as C8.
What Are The MCT Oil Benefits? What to Look For?
MCT Oil is a well-researched supplement, with plenty of health benefits, including:
It can increase your athletic performance and endurance.
MCTs reduce bad cholesterol and promote good cholesterol so you can experience a healthy ketogenic diet.
Medium chain triglycerides decrease blood sugar levels, which is exactly what you need for keto.
MCTs are a good source of ketones, which promote brain health and reduce mental fog.
MCTs offer a steady source of energy, unlike glucose.
Here’s what you should look for before choosing an MCT Oil:
100% C8 for quick ketosis and important energy boost
60% C8 and 40% C10 for steady energy and mental clarity, plus moderate ketosis at an affordable cost
Some C12 to the mix if you want brain health and moderate ketosis
The ingredients should be pure, fresh, and natural so you can enjoy a high-quality product that mixes easily and tastes good
The production process should not involve toxic chemicals that ruin your health and the environment
Choose bottle MCT oil if you want to pour it easily or add it to your food, but make sure you choose a good bottle design
Choose MCT oil pills if you want a convenient and fast option
Choose a good brand, such as Nutiva, Nature’s Way, Zhou Nutrition, or Perfect Keto for extra safety and guaranteed quality
MCT Oils Side Effects
If you’re looking for MCT oil weight loss, you should research the possible side effects. MCT Oil is generally considered safe although you might experience mild:
- Diarrhea, especially when drinking it straight out of the bottle on an empty stomach
- Abdominal pain and cramping
- Nausea and vomiting
As with any dietary supplements, it’s better to discuss things with your GP first to make sure you don’t have any special restrictions.
Start with half a dose. Newbies can overdose even on a regular serving because their bodies are not in full keto mode.
Coconut Oil vs. MCT Oil
Some people claim that coconut oil is better for keto, whereas others prefer the health benefits of MCT oil. These two are different, but they serve different purposes:
- MCT oils are good for fast ketosis and energy boosts. Newbies, people who experience ketogenic plateaus or who want to recover after a cheat day prefer MCT oil.
- Coconuts are good for brain health and sticking to your macros. People who find it easy to stick with their keto diet but want to increase their daily healthy fats choose coconut.
Two other main differences between coconut and MCT oil regard their:
- Production process: It is natural, but MCT is synthesized from coconut oil.
- Composition: It contains mostly C12, which doesn’t transform into ketones, but promotes brain health. MCT oils contain mostly C8 or a mix of C8 and C10.
Usage & Dosage
You can add MCT oil to your drinks, your morning coffee, even in salad dressings.
Check the product’s label for accurate info on the correct dosage. The rule of thumb is 15mL per day, which equals one tablespoon or two pills.
How Much MCT Oil Should I Add in Coffee?
If the daily dosage is 15mL per day and you’re a newbie, go with 5mL per day during the first three days, which equals one teaspoon.
During days four to six, increase your dosage to 10mL per day in your morning coffee. After a week, you can get to the daily recommended tablespoon.
Best Time to Take MCT Oil When Fasting or Intermittent Fasting
If you’re on an intermittent fast, there are two ways in which you can take MCT oil:
With your morning coffee or with your breakfast for extra energy
With your last meal for the day to reduce hunger pangs for the rest of the day
If you’re on an absolute fast, take MCT oil with your last meal before beginning your fast to ensure you have enough energy, and you’re satiated enough before the no-food period.
If you’re on a food-restricted but not time-restricted fast, you can take MCT oil when you most feel hungry or sluggish.
Does MCT Oil Help You Lose Weight?
Yes, MCT oil helps you lose weight because:
It contains healthy fats that reduce your appetite.
It contains few calories per serving, so it is a convenient snack or meal replacement.
It increases your ketone levels so you can burn through your fat stores if you’re on a ketogenic or low-carb diet.
The research shows ambivalent results, but MCT oil can’t help you unless:
- You restrict your carbs. Otherwise, your body will continue to burn glucose instead of your fat stores.
- You respect your daily necessary caloric intake.
- You exercise regularly to increase your metabolism and burn more fats.
Some other brands not included in this review:
- Sports Research
How Do I Choose the Right MCT Oil?
There are many products available in the market, but not all of them are natural. However, you can’t ignore health experts and opt for products that have been shown to work. One of such is MCT Oil. MCT Oil is an excellent source of energy and is not as chemically stimulating as caffeine or any other artificial energy source. These are some of the primary benefits of MCT Oil that you must know about, and how can you get the highest out of it. However, it must be noted that it can enhance fat loss, but it is not a weight loss product. Some of the products that contain MCT Oil are MCT capsules, which are usually known as Energy & Fat Burners. It is also important that you choose the right MCT oil that suits your body type because it plays an essential role in preventing or fighting off diseases and nutritional deficiencies.
First of all, the main role of the primary energy sources in the human body is to promote the metabolic rate. Our metabolism is influenced by the consumption of energy sources. The food that we eat helps to activate the brain, eyes, and digestive system. However, if you want to put your body to the test in the pursuit of maximum performance, you need a super-food that will activate all the metabolic functions, without even needing a single bite of food. The MCT is just that super-food. MCT Oil (also known as Medium-Chain Triglyceride) is the only energy source that will put your body on a biochemical roller-coaster. As a dietary supplement, MCT Oil is most popularly known for its ability to increase fat burning, or your body’s ability to burn stored body fat. MCTs are lipid-soluble, so they’re easily absorbed through the digestive tract.
The Final Conclusion on MCTs & Where To Buy?
I bought MCT oils from online stores like Better Body Foods, and also from Costco, CVS, Kroger, Walmart, and Whole Foods.
Amazon is always a good choice because they have decent prices and reliable deals on shipping and returns.
Which MCT Oil will you buy, though?
The products I reviewed here serve different purposes:
- If you want brain health, go with Viva Naturals.
- If you need a morning boost with your coffee, Brain Octane Oil is a valid choice.
- If you’re interested in organic supplements, Onnit with Pure C8 should be your go-to.
- If you’re looking for a pure MCT supplement that’s been extensively tested, go with Nature’s Way MCT oil.
- If you want a value-for-money supplement, Left Coast Performance is the brand for you.
- If you want to get into ketosis immediately, choose Perfect Keto Softgels.
I don’t know about you, but my choice is PK MCT Oil Powder.
This MCT Oil is manufactured entirely from C8 Caprylic Acid, which means it’s quickly absorbed and puts you into ketosis immediately if you’re on a low-carb diet. 100% C8s can also make your energy levels sky-rocket.
Perfect Keto MCT Oil Powder is tasty, and I’ve never experienced the keto flu with it, thanks to the addition of Acacia fibers.
Is the price making you waver? I have an exclusive 15% discount to help you get the best MCT supplement now.
Click on the link below if you don’t want to compromise quality.